Wednesday, November 17, 2010

OfficeScan 10.5 - Installed, with some Oddities

I finally upgraded our office antivirus software to the lastest and greatest version from TrendMicro.  This has been on my list since spring time, and well, you know how those things go.  Because the server that was hosting our exisiting version is aging rapidly, I opted to install the new version on a new, virtual installation of a Windows 2008.

The installation went smoothly and lined up well with the installation guide instructions.  Once that was running, I was easily able to move workstations and servers to the new service using the console from the OfficeScan 8 installation.   Our OfficeScan 8 deployment had the built-in firewall feature enabled, which I opted to disable for OfficeScan 10.  Because of this, the client machines were briefly disconnected from the network during the reconfiguration and this information lead me to wait until after hours to move any of our servers that were being protected to avoid loosing connectivity during the work day.

Keep in mind that OfficeScan 10.5 does not support any legacy versions of Windows, so a Windows 2000 Server that is still being used here had to retain its OfficeScan 8 installation, which I configured for "roaming" via some registry changes.  This allows it to get updates from the Internet instead of the local OfficeScan 8 server.  Once that was done, I was able to stop the OfficeScan 8 service.

Some other little quirky things:
  • You can't use the remote install (push) feature from the server console on computers running any type of Home Edition of Windows.  I also has a problem installing on a Windows 7 machine, so I opted for doing the web-based manual installation. Check out this esupport document from Trend that explains the reason - Remote install on Windows 7 fails even with Admin Account.
  • I wanted to run the Vulnerabilty Scanner to search my network via IP address range for any unprotected computers.  However the documentation stated that scanning by range only supports a class B address range, where my office is using a class C range.  I couldn't believe that could actually be true, but after letting the scanner run a bit with my range specified and no results, I guess it is.
Overall, it was relatively quick and painless process.  I wish there had been some improvements to the web management console, like the ability to create customized views.  The "grouping" features seems a bit limited as well.

Next, I'll probably see that the client installation gets packaged up as an MSI, so we can have that set to automatically deploy using group policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MS ITPro Evangelists Blogs

More Great Blogs