Monday, March 18, 2013

Goodbye Google?

I opted for a Gmail account back in the day when you still needed an invite to get it. It still said "Beta" on the logo. My gmail account has been my primary email address for pretty much EVER. I had an over abundance of blog subscriptions in my Google Reader.  I've got stuff in Google Drive. I use Google Calendar to share data with my hubby who's an Apple fan-boy.  This blog is on Blogger.

And now I'm falling out of love. I'm worried about the compatibility with Microsoft and Windows 8, on my computer and on my phone. The end of support (and extension of support) for Exchange Active Sync is worrisome. And now they've told everyone to use CalDAV, but that's going away too.  And Reader, well, everyone knows about what's going on with Reader.

But my gmail address is so ingrained in stuff, I'm just not sure I'll ever be able to cut the ties. But maybe a partial migration - I'm not sure. I'm really liking the two-factor authentication features. So instead of rushing and making any rash decisions, I'm taking it slow.

When it comes up, I change an email address registered with something away from my Gmail address. Starting to spread my eggs around in some other baskets, so to speak.

I took this opportunity to start fresh with my RSS feeds.  Today, instead of hunting for a place to move my subscriptions to, I culled them down to about a dozen feeds that I gravitate toward on a daily basis. New feeds will have to earn their place on my reading list and I'm hoping by July 1st, I'll have found a new home for them.

What are you plans for your use of Google services?  Have they finally jumped the shark?

6 comments:

  1. I've never really trusted Google's services, probably out of a sense of confidence that if i'm not paying for something that a company makes, their relationship with me isn't one that can last.

    I'm surprised Amazon doesn't have a free RSS feed service: it seems like it would be great business intelligence for them. Right now i'm using Feedly (which used to depend on the Google Reader API, but they've since built their own). I'm curious how their business model will evolve. Pocket is a different but similar service: they're mining my behavior for something they can sell to others in exchange for the free use of the tool. I will assume Feedly will do something similar.

    Given my dependence on Google for my Android and Chrome use, i'm happy to be migrating other uses away.

    Diversity has its own expenses, but i think it's very useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love it of Amazon had an RSS feed service, the possibility of tying that in to my Kindle would be priceless.

      Delete
  2. I think still Google is better than many other search engines. And many other websites like youtube or other websites, use Google login to log in those websites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tech-geek husband suggested NewsBlur to replace Google Reader, so far so good.

    Not sure what I'll do if they drop Mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at NewsBlur, but couldn't get a free account. Also, I tend to read feeds mostly on my windows phone, so perhaps an app for that would be better for me. Not sure...

      Delete
  4. I was recommended feedly as a replacement for Google Reader. Have been using it for a over a month and I think it's pretty good. (http://www.feedly.com/index.html). Try it out and see if this will work for you. It links all your contents from Google Reader so all feeds are transfer over.

    ReplyDelete

MS ITPro Evangelists Blogs

More Great Blogs