Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Getting Back in Touch with Hyper-V

Some days I feel really behind the eight ball, so today I spent some time getting back into Hyper-V. The office runs VMWare for our production items, but I'm really trying to make time to give Hyper-V a fair shake. Since all of our lab machines are segregated off into various nooks and corners of the server room, physical access while working on them is less than ideal. I'm happy to remotely connect to servers from the comfort of my desk.

Conveniently my co-worker already has a Hyper-V host server set up, so that saved me from having to hunt down hardware and get going from scratch. In order to get started configuring my guest server, I'm connected to my Hyper-V host machine via Remote Desktop and then connecting to my guest server with a Virtual Machine Connection. Because the mouse might "behave erratically" without Integration Services in this particular scenario, the mouse controls are intentionally blocked.

While one of my many random goals in life may be to navigate Windows without a mouse, it's not something I'm very proficient at currently. In order to install the Integration Services, one needs to be handy with keyboard commands, particularly the alternate versions used in the virtual enviroment. Here are a few that I found useful. The traditional key command is listed first, followed by it's Hyper-V VM equivalent.

  • CTRL + ALT + DEL = CTRL + ALT + END
  • ALT + TAB = ALT + PAGE UP
  • ALT + SHIFT + TAB = ALT + PAGE DOWN
  • ALT + ESC = ALT + INSERT
  • CTRL + ESC (Start button) = ALT + HOME
  • Right-Click (to get to context menus) = SHIFT + F10

Ultimately, I'll be using this guest server to play around with SharePoint 2007, but today I'm happy to have just gotten the OS configured and Windows Updates installed. SharePoint will have to wait until after Turkey Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MS ITPro Evangelists Blogs

More Great Blogs