Friday, November 20, 2009

Migrating to Exchange 2010 - Where to Begin?

One of the potential projects on my list for 2010 is migrating our Exchange 2003 server to either 2007 or 2010. I'll likely have to do some more detailed comparisons of features and requirements, as well as take a close look at some of the long term business goals so that we can make the most cost effective decision that will also give us some longevity. It seems like just yesterday that I migrated from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003.

Just to wet my feet a little bit, I found some great posts by Rand Morimoto regarding migrating to Exchange 2010.
Also, be sure to check out the Exchange Server Supportability Matrix, which lists out which operating systems support installing the various flavors of Exchange, as well as which flavors of Active Directory are also supported with Exchange. For example, Exchange 2003 SP2 will run in a 2008 domain (but not 2008 R2) and don't even think about pushing your forest or domain functional levels past 2003 compatibility. On the flipside, Exchange 2007 and higher won't run on a 2000 Active Directory enviroment, so if you are still sporting that type of domain you know where to start.

At any rate, there are quite a few little ducks that need to be a row. I know I've got a bit more reading to do before I start writing up my migration plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MS ITPro Evangelists Blogs

More Great Blogs